You know this meme had me thinking. Want to know who your friends are? Have a child with Autism. iT IS SO TRUE!
Like, people don’t talk about this at all. Well, it needs to be talked about. When you get the final diagnosis of Autism from the doctor of your child, you’d think you could count on your friends. Now some you can…others though, will run the other direction. It is like they think their child can catch this from yours. Let me give a piece of mind. YOU CAN’T! Did you hear me correctly. You can’t. Period. I know some family falls into this category and it sucks.
I’d even venture to say these people weren’t really your friends in the first place, if something like this can make them stop talking to you or coming around. Goodbye, you don’t need that stuff in your life as you have enough to deal with. Pray for them and move on. Listen to me, IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT. This is on them. What we can do is pray. Like I said a little bit ago, that’s all we can do.
[tweetthis]You know somethings they miss out on? I bet you’ve never though about this…let me share some.[/tweetthis]
1. Getting to know an amazing child! God made this child and they’re precious in His sight. When He looks at them, He doesn’t see their special needs. He sees into their heart.
2. Pure and honest. Those with Autism are some of the most pure and honest people you will ever met. Who wouldn’t want to be around someone like that?
3. Love. They have so much love to share.
4. Miracles. They’re miracles from God. Not only that to be given a chance to pray for them. To watch them do things that therapists and doctors say they’ll never be able to do.
5. Being able to stand in the gap for us as we’re going through a hard time with our kiddos. We need people who aren’t afraid to stand with us during the hard times. Someone who will grab our hands and say it will be ok. People who will pray over us, over our kids and not back down, storming God’s throne.
So, when people walk out of your life because of your child’s special needs, let them. Don’t chase them. This is God’s way of giving you someone else who will stand with and for you during the hard times.
What’s some other wisdom or advice for those going through something like this with friends or family?
*Come join the conversation on Facebook and subscribe via email to never miss a post!*